dori123

New to Singapore, 6th grade level. Dimensions or Primary?

dori123    0

New to Singapore math with a young 7th-grader who is about a 6th-grade math level.

He hates math but is actually quite good at it. He understands higher mathematical concepts quite quickly and naturally but gets bogged down and surly when there are too many practice problems (thank you, Saxon). 

I am looking at Dimensions 6 or Primary 6 as a jumping-off point. (I have ruled out Math In Focus as I think he should be on track for Algebra-level problems in year 2/3, and I think MiF is one year behind that.)

Do you have any advice for me, and can you let me know if Dimensions 6 has a workbook? I see only the textbook. I'd love to get a separate workbook as well. Also, is there a Teacher Edition?

Thank you!!

Jenny    3

A workbook and a guide for Dimensions Math 6 are not yet available. They are in production. The workbook is supplementary. I do suggest you do Dimensions Math 6 rather than Primary Math 6 unless your student can do well on the Primary 5 assessment tests. For any of the three editions. See http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

Also, see https://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_Planning_Chart_s/229.htm

And if you do do the Dimensions Math 6, I suggest adding in the Process Skills 4 and 5 supplementary books. Maybe even 3.

dori123    0

Thanks for the reply. What's the thinking behind recommending Dimensions over Primary?

Also, what are the Process Skills books? I have never seen those before. 

Thanks so much for your input; I really appreciate it. 

Jenny    3

Process skills is a supplement. Look under supplemental math at our web site. If you look under the FAQ, there is a description of each of the supplemental books, (books not part of the curriculum but covering similar content, for more practice).