Kalbee

Placement question

Kalbee    0

My daughter took the 2A placement test. She got most of the answers correct...mainly made simple mistakes. However she didn't do any of the mental math section mentally. Do I place her in 2A or go ahead with 2B? 

Jenny    3

I answered your email. 2B does start out with mental math. The Home Instructor's guide reviews it as well. You can teach mental math somewhat separately using the Speed Maths Strategies supplement http://www.singaporemath.com/MathExpress_Speed_Maths_Strategies_s/152.htm   I think it would not be worth doing 2A if the issues is only mental math. Give her the 2B test and see if again it is only the Mental Math that is an issue. If so, then maybe start with 3A, which does have a pretty thorough review of mental math, particularly if you get the Home Instructor's Guide. 

Kalbee    0

Thanks, Jenny! (Sorry you had to answer twice! I wasn't sure how active the forum was then I found your email.) This is great news to hear! She is not going to be excited about being in level 2 so the faster we can get into level 3 the better! Just by looking over 2B, that's where her learning level is so we'll start there. Thank you! I'm excited to get her started and am hoping this curriculum in "the ONE" for her!!